Sweet lemon is a medium-sized with an overall rounded shape and a slightly flattened bottom. Its relatively smooth skin is yellow with a pale green tint, developing an orange hue when fully ripe. The thin rind is rich with aromatic oils, and the juicy flesh has minimal seeds and is nearly acid-less. The flavor is extremely mild, with sweet floral notes of lemongrass.
The Citrus limetta falls under the citrus category of fruits, they are mostly called as sweet lime, sweet lemon and also sweet limetta. They have their origin from the South and Southeast Asia and also domesticated in the regions of Mediterranean Basin.
The Sweet lemon is botanically classified as Citrus limetta, and may be commonly referred to as sweet lime, sweet limetta, Persian lime and Mediterranean sweet lemon. In India it is called Mosambi where it is prized for its many health and beauty benefits. Confusingly, it looks like a lemon, yet tastes like a sweet acid-less lime, hence the numerous aliases. Two common varieties grown in California are the Millsweet limetta and the Ponderosa sweet lemon.
Seasons/ Availability: Sweet lemons are available year-round with peak season in the spring.
Nutritional Value: Sweet lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C and are beneficial for treating the common cold, sore throats and dehydration. Some homeopathic advocates use Sweet lemons to relieve gastrointestinal problems, boosts liver function and as a natural antiseptic.
Health Benefits of sweet lemon:
- They solve many stomach-based ailments such as the nausea and indigestion, since they have minimal amount of fat content in it they help in weight loss.
- They are used to enhance the skins beauty since they contain bleaching and also mild cleansing attributes in them thus aids in eradicating the pimples, providing a glowing and also a clear skin.
- They are also used in treating insect bites and reduces the pigmentation of the elbows and also the knees.
- The acidic properties of the fruit aids in smoothening the ulcers of esophagus, stomach or upper intestine since they induce an alkaline reaction in the body and lessens the effects of acidity.
- Frequent intake of the fruits juice makes sure the blood circulation takes places correctly by boosting up the hearts functioning capacity which helps in upgrading the immune system.
- They are also used by the diabetic patients which are helpful for them.